Saturday, August 30, 2014

Lemon Poppyseed Muffins


When I was in elementary school, I would eat a frozen lemon poppy seed muffin for breakfast every single morning. My mom would make huge batches of these delicious, if relatively flat-topped, muffins, and then freeze them in pint-sized zip-lock bags. For the next two weeks, I would grab a muffin out of the freezer first thing when I got up, and sit at my desk to eat it. I probably went back for seconds without asking from time to time. I was wild in my younger days.


For some reason, frozen muffins leave the faintest hint of sticky-oily residue on your fingers- not enough to be too messy, just sort of a film, the kind that leaves little grease marks on your essays the morning that they're due, and smudges all over your iPhone screens. Every single morning, after sitting down at my desk and setting down my muffin, I would turn on my pink Hello Kitty desk lamp by pulling the Hello Kitty (I think she was dressed up as an angel) figurine at the end of the pull chain, with the same hand I had just had my muffin in. I don't think I believed in using more than one hand for anything other than sandwich eating at the time. For several months I thought the figurine was supposed to feel slightly greasy, until I realized that it was beginning to smell like lemon muffin, too. It still smelled like muffin three years later when I found the lamp tucked away in the basement one day.


In any case, Lemon Poppy-seed muffins are still my favorite, and full of fond childhood memories (even if those from my childhood weren't dripping with sugary lemon glaze).

This isn't the recipe my mom used, but it is truly delicious- the perfect mixture of light and airy,  not too sweet, not too much lemon, and the glaze really sends them through the roof. I found it here, and made these muffins in honor of summer ending. Lemon really is a summer flavor, isn't it? I suppose now I'll have to start baking pumpkin flavored treats. Mmmmm . . . pumpkin bread, pumpkin spice lattes, pumpkin cinnamon rolls (those are on the bucket list) . . .

But go make these before summer ends. . .



And then eat them!!! You won't regret it, trust me (:

No comments:

Post a Comment